Lyndhurst

B23 - Grid reference SP114927

Sutton Road - Buy this card from Dave Gregory at Postcards of the Past - see Acknowledgements.
Sutton Road - Buy this card from Dave Gregory at Postcards of the Past - see Acknowledgements.

 

On Sutton Road north of Erdington village just before the junction with the Chester Road is the Lyndhurst estate.

 

In the 1840s a number of large detached houses had been built surrounded by extensive gardens.

 

These elegant stuccoed villas provided a rural retreat for well-off middle-class residents.

 

Further building in the area was stimulated by the opening in 1862 of Chester Road station on the Sutton Branch railway.

 

The houses were demolished in the late 1950s to make way for an estate of mixed low- and high-rise buildings.

The Lyndhurst estate viewed from Sutton Road
The Lyndhurst estate viewed from Sutton Road

Birmingham's City Architect, A G Shepard Fidler was keen to improve the quality and housing estates currently being built and promoted mixed developments of traditional houses, maisonettes and good-quality tower blocks, all designed in matching styles.

 

As many mature trees as possible were kept as possible. A landmark row of five tower blocks were built set at angle to Sutton Road and a 16-storey block was the tallest in Birmingham at the time. In 1961 the estate won a Civic Trust design award.


However, during the later years of the 20th century the estate has suffered problems of anti-social behaviour and drug dealing and moves are underway to demolish a number of tower blocks, to rebuild some of the maisonette blocks, to refurbish the houses and to regenerate the estate.


The origin of the name is unknown, but its Anglo-Saxon meaning would be 'lime-tree' 'wooded hill'.

William Dargue 04.04.09/ 18.08.2012

  

Google Maps - If you lose the original focus of the Google map, press function key F5 on your keyboard to refresh the screen. The map will then recentre on its original location.


For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.

See http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55193&sheetid=10081&ox=1004&oy=2547&zm=2&czm=2&x=253&y=292