Falcon Lodge

B75 - Grid reference SP143962

First record c1820

Falcon Lodge c1950 - Image Leonard Price Birmingham History Forum Facebook group
Falcon Lodge c1950 - Image Leonard Price Birmingham History Forum Facebook group

Falcon Lodge is a council estate on the east side of Sutton Coldfield. It takes its name from a late-Georgian house which stood west of the junction of Wyatt Road and Langley Hall Road. Much of Wyatt Road marks the line of the drive to the house from Lindridge Road. Langley Hall Road was the drive from the house to Springfield Road.

 

Built in 1820 in a neo-classical style on land recently enclosed, this crenellated 9-bedroom country house had extensive outbuildings and grounds and over 20ha of arable and pasture.

 

On the 1889 Ordnance Survey map can be seen the large orchard immediately north of the house. The first tenants were the Pepper family of Nottingham.


The origin of the name of the house name is unknown. It may be a romantic 19th-century creation by the builder or the first residents.


Falcon Lodge shops - looking down Carhampton Road to Churchill Road.
Falcon Lodge shops - looking down Carhampton Road to Churchill Road.


Sutton Coldfield Corporation bought the house and some 20 hectares of farmland in 1937, but it was not until after the end of World War 2 that a municipal housing estate was built here. Built by 1950s, the estate was considered a model development. It is spaciously laid out and has a community hall, library and shopping centre on Churchill Road to provide a 'village centre' focus.


Churchill Road follows the valley of Churchill Brook. This flows down to join Langley Brook, which then runs north to join the River Tame near Middleton.

 

William Dargue 01.08.2010

 

Google Maps - If you lose the original focus of the Google map, press function key F5 on your keyboard to refresh the screen. The map will then recentre on its original location.


For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.

See http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55141&sheetid=8807&ox=3966&oy=2741&zm=2&czm=2&x=396&y=232

 

Map below reproduced from Andrew Rowbottom’s website of Old Ordnance Survey maps Popular Edition, Birmingham 1921.

Click the map to link to that website.