Alum Rock

B8 - Grid reference SP115875

Alom Rock: first record 1718

Alum Rock 1960
Alum Rock 1960

 

 

 

 

 

Alum Rock in 1960 - At the west end of the district adjoining Saltley, these houses were built at the end of the 19th century.

 

Reproduced with the kind permission of the late Keith Berry from his online collection of photographs. All rights reserved. See Acknowledgements for a direct link to that website.

 

Walk down Alum Rock Road around its junction with Cotterills Lane and you will find a thriving shopping centre. One hundred years ago the scene was very different, for Alum Rock was at that time a tiny rural hamlet. Spreading out from the city centre, the nearest housing developments had at that time only reached Shaw Hill at the west end of Saltley. It was not until after the First World War that the area began to be developed with housing, and not until after the Second World War that there was extensive municipal building.


In the Middle Ages this district was the southern part of the manor of Little Bromwich, a name which is no longer in use. See also Ward End.

Banford Avenue
Banford Avenue

 

 

The Placename

 

The name of Alum Rock presents some problems of interpretation. As Alom Rock, it is first found documented only in 1718. However, without an early record it is diificult now to determine its original form, as placenames often change markedly with time. The origin of the name, therefore, is uncertain, and it may or may not be related to the mineral, alum to which it seems to refer. Alum rock is a naturally occurring mineral which was used as an alternative to tannin in the curing of leather. The word came into late Middle English from French.

 


The London & Birmingham Railway

 

Alum Rock is separated from Bordesley Green to the south by the London & Birmingham Railway. Opened in 1838, this was Birmingham's second railway after the Grand Junction (Liverpool) Railway which had been completed the previous year. It was engineered by the railway pioneers, father and son, George and Robert Stephenson, and took the physical labour of twenty thousand men almost five years to build. But when the trains started to run, the impact was enormous and almost immediate. A horse-drawn stage coach on the 100-mile journey to London took some twenty hours plus two overnight stops to reach its destination. The journey by train took just five hours - it was now possible to get to London and back in the same day. The London line comes to Alum Rock via a deep cutting through the Saltley ridge, and crosses the Cole valley viaduct before cutting through the Yardley ridge after Stechford station.

 

See also The Pelham.

 

William Dargue 02.09.2008/ 30.07.2010

 

 

Google Maps - If you lose the original focus of the Google map, press function key F5 on your keyboard to refresh the screen. The map will then recentre on its original location.


For 19th-century Ordnance Survey maps of Birmingham go to British History Online.

See http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55193&sheetid=10100&ox=1242&oy=433&zm=2&czm=2&x=20&y=48 

and http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55193&sheetid=10096&ox=726&oy=2900&zm=2&czm=2&x=450&y=365

 

Map below reproduced from Andrew Rowbottom’s website of Old Ordnance Survey maps Popular Edition, Birmingham 1921. 

Click the map to link to that website.